maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Awesome Labour Weekend

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 22 October 2007, 10:07 PM  
Hey just want to thank the organisers of Labour Weekend. I reckon it was a great event with challenging maps, good course setting, excellent organisation and a fun atmosphere.

I even enjoyed the classic on the last day which I wasn't expecting to!

Thanks heaps.

Show Profile  darren Posted: 23 October 2007, 1:28 AM  
Ditto. Great weekend, thanks very much to everyone involved.

Show Profile  Omum Posted: 23 October 2007, 3:26 AM  
Thanks Hawkes Bay Club members. You always put on a well organised, fun weekend. Thanks for all the hours of work that your club put in to making sure we all had a fantastic weekend of orienteering.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 24 October 2007, 3:58 AM  
THANKS for a tough but enjoyable event on awesome terrain. No wonder HB orienteers are a hardy lot!

Had my first encounter with onga onga,(didn't know what it looked like) but felt some very sharp pains down my thighs and left hand for three days. Could have been worse if Raewyn Simpson hadn't given me some antihystamines!

It seems like there were more than the average number of blister cases from all the hill running. Like a lot of people using innov8's I'm always trying to fend off these very annoying things. Does anyone NOT get blisters from innov8's. What are the best socks to use in conjunction with them? ...I usually wear moisture sucking asics or similar, sometimes two pairs. Are Jalas O shoes more forgiving?
Mind you I seem to suffer blisters on all multiday events no matter what shoes I use. It's just a matter of trying to keep them at bay for as long as possible before the enevitable happens at some point!

Thanks also to the Guide group for the hot food. It certainly made it easier for me catering to my two hungry little carnivors, especially when you're away from home.

Show Profile  Omum Posted: 24 October 2007, 4:13 AM  
The only socks I would ever consider wearing for any type of running are Thorlos. I once found a supply of black Thorlos which are the ideal O sock because you can't see the evidence of all the swampy bogs that course setters like to send orienteers through!

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 24 October 2007, 4:19 AM  
Tape across the common blister area(s) is the best prevention, thats being proactive rather than reactive

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 24 October 2007, 4:41 AM  
Omum my nice white nike socks now make me look unkept and like I never wash, after just one O race. In the future could event organisers recommend preferrential sock colour to avoid such tradgedy's from reacurring.

Prevention is usually better than the cure.... but I never have enough tape. The worst tape I've ever used was the horrendously expensive water resistant Leukoplast recommended by a smiley pharmisist. Anyone want to purchase 90% of a role for a discounted $50 ?

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 24 October 2007, 5:36 AM  
Michael Wood sells strapping tape for about $15 a roll. This works fine for prophylactic blister prevention. If you have a blister already you can use a small piece of sterile gauze pad (or back-to-front tape at a pinch) and tape over the whole thing as usual.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 24 October 2007, 6:29 AM  
There is tape and tape. The best I have found is Leuko "patella tape" which for some reason sticks better than their other tapes. White socks, when did you start orienteering Paul??? Consider any technical sock, Thorlo isn't the only one.

As for shoes, I would hesitate to say one shoe is superior to another in this regard, it depends on the relationship of YOUR foot shape to the idealised foot shape adopted by the maker. For events with a lot of sidling, WIDTH is important. It is usual for kiwis to say "I've got a broad foot", but too wide a shoe and the foot will move sideways leading to blisters (and also premature failure). I have a narrower foot than average, I know a couple of national squad members who do too. Women tend to have narrower feet than men. My 3 and a half year-old (narrower) orienteering shoes gave me no sign of blisters whatsoever.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 24 October 2007, 8:23 AM  
My new theory, this one isn't pure genius, is that practice makes perfect, you should be used to running in the shoes you race in....then you shouldn't get blisters...but yeah tape by all means

Any fitting sock will do, eg thorlo, bridgedale whatever...don't think socks are huge issues for orienteering.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 24 October 2007, 9:19 AM  
I don't get blisters often when training even though the majority of my training is off road ie; hilly and muddy (in winter) tracks. I think its just that you're forced too race on all sorts of angles that are not normally encountered during training.
on the last day of LWEnd I chucked the innersole out of my innov8's to give my poor feet a break, rather than be too loose or uncomfortable they were actually surprisingly good, and the feet sat lower down.
Yeah it's not really socks thats an issue for people in general, but rather socks being an issue for people with soft sweaty feet like the ones I've been blessed with. I've always suffered in this way no matter what sort of socks or shoes I've yet to try. Half my o-ringen runs have involved copius amounts of second skin and teeth clenching
...still searching for that magic formula.

Hey Jamie, I noticed you had a pair of those black Trubucos or whatever they're called... my last pair of beloved trail asics are dying and I was going to get a pair like yours. How do you find them for general 80% off road 20% road training? Do you race in them at all? I know the grip is awesome. I had a pair of adidas supernova trails which were similar but the upper just falls apart once they've be wet a few too many times.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 24 October 2007, 9:47 AM  
Yeah after years of shopping around I have settled on Trabucos, just cause I know what I get...and reasonably easy on the feet.

Any races I do outside orienteering or road races I have worn my trabucos, ie off road 1/2 marathon up to 24hr rogaine, expedition race etc quite versatile...also wore them in the sprint race the other day, but I think thats why Ross beat me ;-)

The latest version in black hasn't been as durable as earlier models...only 60 hours use and pretty much blown in the uppers.

Show Profile  Chris Posted: 24 October 2007, 9:50 AM  
If you have trouble sidling round hills you could always grow one leg longer than the other...

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 24 October 2007, 12:20 PM  
Which one?

Show Profile  nick Posted: 24 October 2007, 1:31 PM  
The third one

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 24 October 2007, 2:16 PM  
Enough about aches and pains, how about a look at performances? Even without Greta and Amber the W20's were impressive. (And do some research into their REAL ages.) I can remember shadowing D Squad girls who couldn't run continuously throughout a training exercise... The other result that I noticed was Rita Homes. The W21E results were relatively close, and Rita was roughly in the middle.

And the family competition looks interesting - very close results indeed.

This message was edited by Michael on 24 October 2007, 9:16 PM

This message was edited by Michael on 24 October 2007, 9:25 PM

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz