maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

An Orienteering Season

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 24 September 2007, 2:43 PM  
Dont think I need to answer your reply Simon and Simon, but it looks like (and its been stated) that there are many things further down the country most Aucklanders have only seen on TV, lambing, calving, duck shooting, access issues (both winter and summer) and your proposed "season" is ideal for Woodhill only.

I cant see what the whole issue has risen from, for the first time, next year we have what resembles a season. It is based around having the major competitions from March to June. This is only the National season and I believe looking Nationally for these and letting each individual area sorting itself out is the best option, as I can not see how you will ever have a National calendar that works if it sets when certain events should take place due to the above issues in different regions.

Also Simon are you stating that the AOC is not happy with next years Auckland Area Calendar that was agreed upon a few weeks ago

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 24 September 2007, 2:59 PM  
I'm typing this very slowly so everyone can understand:

A calendar year and a season are not necessarily the same thing.

Therefore Easter is not necessarily anywhere near the beginning of the season.

I hope those who can't see this aren't fans of domestic cricket and other sports competitions firmly planted in summer, because it must really do their heads in when every year the finals take place months before the opening rounds.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 24 September 2007, 3:01 PM  
"The programme for next year in Auckland involves 9 OY'S from March till October with a 6 week break in winter, with 2 big events at the end, a 3 day at Labour Weekend and a North Island Champs 2 weeks later. The Auckland SS Champs will be on the same time as an OY."

Cheers for the update Rob

That's more like it.
I never thought I'd say this, but ........ Auckland Rocks!

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 24 September 2007, 3:03 PM  
Perhaps you're right Greg, that it will be too difficult to get clubs to all agree on their local programmes, at least for now. And the coming year is definitely a step in the right direction. It still seems that the year is somewhat disjointed, but I guess we will have to wait and see if this season works out a bit better. It still doesn't really address the issue of retaining schools orienteers though, which is (along with bringing other new members to orienteering) the biggest issue I feel we face at the moment.

I also understand some of what goes on outside Auckland too, believe it or not.

This is nothing to do with next year's Auckland Area Calender and I am not speaking on behalf of my club.

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 24 September 2007, 3:06 PM  
Btw Nic, as far as I'm aware it is unviable for any regions around the country to have a season which goes through the summer months of December to February. Believe me I'd love nothing more than to have a summer season ending with Nationals at Easter. If it's possible, bring it on!

Show Profile  nick Posted: 26 September 2007, 7:58 AM  
Yeah AOA's 2008 calendar is an exciting development. I hope Auckland orienteers get into it, and really take advantage of the extra preparation it'll provide before National's. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

Not adding much to the thread here, but I felt bad for not acknowledging in my initial post (grumble grumble status quo grumble) the work that AOA people have put into renovating the calendar.

So yeah thanks...

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 26 September 2007, 11:05 AM  
I know this is a discussion about the season as a whole, not just nationals, but there's a particular point on my mind at the moment...

I concede there's one flaw with nationals at Easter, which is that it's a lunar holiday as opposed to a solar one - sorry, I mean that it's timing floats around almost by a month, and it's amazing how that small difference can make it feel too "early" when it falls in late March and hard to fit in enough real orienteering after the post christmas lull. But at least some of us find it ideal when it's firmly in April.

I note that This Season (sorry, couldn't help myself there) Easter (and therefore nationals) comes early, but also that we appear to have a 3-day ANZAC weekend. I'm NOT suggesting any tinkering with scheduled events, but does anyone out there have enough of a handle on the whole lunar vs solar calendar, 7 day week vs leap year mess to tell me if these two things generally occur in the same year or are completely independent?

Also I know that maximising attendance is just one of a number of considerations with nationals, but in response to some comments made above I'd just like to observe that in my 20 years orienteering NZ membership has stayed about the same. (Members focussed on foot-o may have actually declined) Attendance at nationals appears to have climbed on average since the change to easter. Maybe not significantly and maybe there's other (demographic?) factors at play?

This message was edited by onemanfanclub on 26 September 2007, 6:05 PM

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz