maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

Legend Following

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 5 September 2007, 12:40 AM  
Taking a piss in an M13-4 race? You gotta weak bladder Dash?

Rob G I wasn't aware Al did a bit of throwing out the tow rope in his early days. Who was his coach back then?

If you want dumb ass stories Jamie ...

at an OY in Woodhill a rival was sticking to me thx to my superior technical skills - whilst running I spotted a deer so I said to him "Look. Deer" He immediately veered off as he thought I was pointing out the control.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 5 September 2007, 12:47 AM  
Once at Squad training on the Woodhill World Cup map, Brent and I think Fraser started following me on a training exercise - I mean, how desperate was that, although they were young'uns at the time and no doubt looking to learn something.

However upon entering the gnarly bush by the old lookout I just took off at breakneck speed down the hill - got near the bottom and just stood there telling them I didn't know where the fk we were. Looks on their faces was amusing.

Show Profile  Old Timer Posted: 5 September 2007, 4:40 AM  
Good to see that after a pretentious start this discussion has evolved to orienteers actually admitting we have all followed others at one time or another!

Good on the Aussie and the Austrian at the WOC/World Cups I say - you gotta use whatever advantage you can. I'm with Brad Butterworth on that one!

Crikey - I followed Greg Barbour once just to see if I could! Was a lot of fun - he slipped away from me behind a knoll somewhere but relocating wasn't too bad - I just went back to the last control we had spiked and started from there all over again!

Trying to run behind a top orienteer can be an excellent training exercise. Just make sure you ask their permission first!

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 5 September 2007, 5:16 AM  
Either I must be too fast for others to keep up, too slow to catch others, or take such dodgy route choices that no right minded runner would take. I don't seem to have had the chance to try out a good ol following. Sounds like fun though.
When I do see someone I think might be on my course I usually end up trying my best to choose a different route so I can run my own race without distractions, sometimes resulting in a screw up anyhow. Maybe this is a bad tactic and doesn't make use of all opportunities.

O-ringen is the best ... you just follow the tracks!

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 5 September 2007, 5:19 AM  
Yeah one of my best learning experiences is racing with Rob G and Marquita when I was M15. They just seemed to go straight to every control without stopping. Man I was knackered keeping with those old people.

The most embarressing result for me was when I blatently followed Rob C (Rob C!), from control one of a two race short O Auckland champs. Rob had just returned from europe and was actually "the man" at that time.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 5 September 2007, 6:17 AM  
Definition of a poor route choice.... You are a mid to late starter at O-ringen and part way through the course you find yourself all alone.

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 5 September 2007, 6:19 AM  
Jamie I heard that said NZ orienteer gave the Macedonian the old one-two to the chops. Can you confirm the identity of the then young Kiwi buck so we might be able to hear the full story...?

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 5 September 2007, 6:52 AM  
...well, we've already been told it was someone who DNF'd at JWOC, which must narrow it down (I can't believe I'm stirring THAT one up again)

Another tactic worth remembering, especially in a terrain with a lot of similar features, is the "pseudo-punch" ie if you've picked which boulder/knoll/whatever the control is behind, pause behind another on the way in long enough to have punched a control, then go through the real one as quickly as possible. A bit harder to pull off now with that sport-ident "beep".

Which reminds me of being in a group of half a dozen or so in the "open" toetoe on Celebre, scattered around searching, then all converging on the sound of the beep. Now if you could fake that noise, think of the fun you could have.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 5 September 2007, 6:56 AM  
Untried variation on the pseudopunch that's just come to me - visit the control first, swear loud enough to mask the beep, pop out looking confused, then pseudopunch behind another feature and pop out confident and smiling...

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 5 September 2007, 10:07 AM  
The micro format, with very close but different control features (even within site of each other)for different runners, tried to deal with so much following but really it's not 100% fair either... and makes course setting even harder.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 5 September 2007, 10:30 AM  
I could never see how controls placed within 50m of each other is meant to break runners up?

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 5 September 2007, 10:31 AM  
All but the most obvious types of following, eg that damn Macedonian who I did not punch but may have made aggressive contact with, are perfectly legit.

Honcho, Robbie was Al's coach at that stage wasn't he?

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 5 September 2007, 10:42 AM  
How do you follow without being obvious?
All recommended techniques welcome.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 5 September 2007, 10:53 AM  
Cut holes in your map so you can adopt the old spy technique of watching the other guy while pretending to read...

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 5 September 2007, 3:54 PM  
Often leads t trouble later in the course if you are with a stronger runner and they get away cos then youve got nothing to read.

Did the Macedonian get the first punch in Jamie hence the teeth??

1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz