maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4  

world champs review

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 31 August 2007, 2:49 AM  
Oh bugger, James - I see now on my workings out where I crossed of Tania's 1995 long result when I was working on a top 15, then obviously missed it when I went to 20. Don't have the middle result on my workings though. Did I miss it or did Bryan? Will amend when I've got more than a moment.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 31 August 2007, 3:38 AM  
1995 NZ results:
http://www.orienteeringresults.com/O/nzof/NZatWOC.asp?Event=WOC 1995

1995 Short Final results:
http://www.orienteeringresults.com/O/ShowEvent.asp?Event=WOC95S

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 31 August 2007, 8:12 AM  
I have in my hands a great in-depth report from Clem which is going straight into the magazine which then goes to the printers. Definitely a great read if you can hang out for it...

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 31 August 2007, 11:20 AM  
"Should these type of results be discarded - there's at least one of these in the above list"

OH GO ON AL - SPILL THE BEANS!!!

The Australian in 1993? I presume you mean 1997 - or is there a story I haven't heard?

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 31 August 2007, 11:23 AM  
For the benefit of our younger readers, someone who shall remain nameless was so closely following he could not even tell his Coach upon completing his race which side of a LAKE he ran past (and it was not a small one).

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 31 August 2007, 11:28 AM  
The conversation went something like this:

Coach: So how did you get from (e.g.) 6 to 7?
Athlete: Oh, you know ...
Coach: No, I dont, did you go to the left or right of the lake
Athlete: Dunno ...

Legend. I believe CASSER has some intimate knowledge of this athlete's following abilities. Mind you, I guess there wouldn't be many who could hang onto Casser for a tow ...

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 31 August 2007, 11:48 AM  
Ooops - sorry, 1997 it was.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 31 August 2007, 12:30 PM  
Come on even he (the Australian) owns up to it not being the best of things to do and also bettered that performance on his own in Sweden.

If your going into results based on how hard they are to obtain and going to make a list out of it then surely you need to take into account events such as Nordic and European Champs

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 31 August 2007, 12:46 PM  
Yes - the Australian in question has certainly redeemed himself since...

Nordics, Euros, or even WCs.... surely the WOC data-set is big enough for this discussion?

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 31 August 2007, 12:58 PM  
Oh Alistair wants to bring World Cups into it? I wonder why?

Don't get angry with me big boy. Your run at home I don't think will ever be surpassed.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 31 August 2007, 5:03 PM  
Thats a big call.

Man how cool would it be to have a world cup at home...

what do you guys reckon about the annual world champs? benefit? or too early too tell?

Show Profile  jankoc Posted: 31 August 2007, 5:31 PM  
New Zealand at WOC 2007:

http://runners.worldofo.com/WOC2007NZL.html

Jan

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 1 September 2007, 2:35 PM  
Yeah Jamie, there's more than a few grumblings about WOC being held annually from a few nations. It's all tied up with a shit load of issues. And a world cup in NZ would be cool. A few people at the last 3 WOC's, including some IOF dudes keeping, asking when it'll happen. After the amount of crap that was let go at this years WOC the people in glass houses thing can be easily brought up in regards to any issues they'd have from the WC we held.
Good thing Al had the good sense not to go to WOC this year, he would have had to start throwing chairs around in the team officials meetings each night before the guys in charge would even acknowledge there were other people in the room besides themselves.
A world cup would be cool for a nation outside of europe but it comes down to financing, and in the current state of of WC and WOC the high ups in the european nations ( I went to some meeting stuff for the IOF, so, shhsh secret) plainly stated the financial constraints of the annual thing meant they probably couldn't afford to send teams. Didn't sit well with some nations. But hey, they're only a generalised voice of federations and not a voice for all the individual orienteers that might come. But at the end of it all we probably just couldn't afford to have it. Anyone got a really rich uncle?

Show Profile  addison Posted: 1 September 2007, 4:01 PM  
Maptalk can be the primary sponsor and pay for everything?

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 1 September 2007, 5:52 PM  
Sweeeyt, sounds good,, get me while I'm still jet lagged and I will agree to helping anyone 4 anything. If maptalk can chuck in at least 50k for feasibility, then chuck in the IOF type fees for the thanks for applying; then we can actually get into the application type fees and stuff.
I'm feeling like an old horse here(no big slong pun intended) and I'm just trying to remain slightly drunk. Rob C (the mentor) knows more than he lets on and Mr Al Landels is a box of knowledge. Someone should get down and pray and ask how we can move forward to the aformentioned or we'll be permantly stuck in this semi prone position.

1   2   3   4  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz