maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6  

Long Final

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 23 August 2007, 10:04 AM  
Here it comes, the mother of all mothers. The longest WOC race in all of history...

Who’s the best of all in 2007?

This is all very serious stuff and I’m pretty sure there’s a bit of nervous tension out there... and that’s just the spectators!

Once again a number of very good all-rounders have saved themselves especially for this race; Ikonen (Fin), Lakanen (Fin), Adamski (Fra), Lauenstein (Sui), Merz (Sui), Rollier (Sui), Efimov (Rus), Khramov (Rus), Nordberg (Nor), Weltzein (Nor), Stevenson (Gbt), Mamleev (Ita), Piblad (Swe) and many others. Will it help them conserve strength and energy for the gruelling challenge ahead?
Or will yesterdays blowing out the cobwebs in a technically difficult middle distance help sharpen the edge of runners who chose to run both disciplines such as: Bartak (Slv), Novikov (Rus), Nordberg (Nor), Hott (Nor), Haldin (Fin), Mukhididinov (Ukr), Karner (Est) and K Nikolov (Bul).?

LONG QUALIFICATION:
It seemed that the combination of very steep ravines with some complex erosion detail, together with many thick thorny bushes and long, long grass provided the level playing field (that’s a bit of irony for you) to find the toughest orienteers from the globe to battle out in the big long final. The cream has certainly raised to the top, with the best of the Continentals, Scandinavians, Eastern Europeans all mixed in there.

The Russians on home ground have been looking impressive, but the Fins and Sweds are gathering right behind ready to show their power, while Great Britain hover quietly it does not go unnoticed that they too are in ripping form. The French too as always, are looking as strong as ever. But you can only awe at the precision and physical abilities of the Swiss runners at these Word Championships.

Which amazing athlete is going to take away this great title today?

The terrain for this race at Golosiivo promises to be much more runnable than the qualification race, No doubt it’ll still have some greenery, and some ravines to traverse, but I think it’s likely that there will be some beautiful open deciduous forest with plenty of nice erosion details on the 18.2km men’s and 11.9 women’s epic courses.
Looking on Google earth there’s a nice big forest in this part of Kiev, with dense cover, what will it reveal I wonder?
It’s not only the weather that’s gonna be hot, hot, hot today!

My top20 for the Men’s Long Final are:

1 Lauenstein
2 Lakanen
3 Khramov
4 Merz
5 Nordberg
6 Adamski
7 Efimov
8 Gonan
9 Omelchenko
10 Hott
11 Ikonen
12 Mamleev
13 V Novikov
14 Stevenson
15 Rollier
16 Weltzein
17 Karner
18 Smola
19 Haldin
20 Forne

Women’s top10 picks:
1 Niggli
2 Kauppi
3 Jukkola
4 Riabkina
5 M Andersen
6 Jansson
7 Hausken
8 Brozkova
9 Engstrand
10 Billstram

We at home wish Chris all the best, I’m sure his world regaining experience will be of use, that’s why I think he can achieve a top 20. Of course I know his orienteering is also up to it.

And Go Tania Go… I also think you can find the strength to run a top 20 long, even though you’ve barely recovered from yesterday’s race. I’m sure it will sharpen you up. I’ve seen you pass me out in the forest with amazing stealth… good luck!

Show Profile  Bryn Posted: 23 August 2007, 10:26 AM  
God you write a lot of shit Paul!!

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 23 August 2007, 10:37 AM  
Just as mush shit as everyone else!

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 23 August 2007, 10:48 AM  
just setting the scene xxxx. If your xxxx was long enough I'd tell ya to xxxx go yourself with it, but by all accounts it isn't big enough.

This message was edited by Paul I on 23 August 2007, 6:10 PM

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 23 August 2007, 11:01 AM  
Yep it should be the guy with the biggest that wins today...should be great listening ifthe satellites don't wobble too much Go Chris and Tania

Show Profile  James Posted: 23 August 2007, 11:02 AM  
bad time of the month paul?

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 23 August 2007, 11:35 AM  
"We at home wish Chris all the best, I’m sure his world regaining experience will be of use, that’s why I think he can achieve a top 20. Of course I know his orienteering is also up to it."

this topped it for me! here here bryn.

By the way Paul think twice when you make stupid/crass comments then edit them out. Plenty of people, young and old read this and look up to the elites of our sport.

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 23 August 2007, 11:38 AM  
Before the exciting stuff gets going Id like to thank all you maptalk folk for all the support and well wishes. Also all the encouragement you have given the team. I know they all flog their guts out and do their best even if sometimes things dont always go to plan
Thanks team and now to the action.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 23 August 2007, 11:49 AM  
It's the first time I've been tempted to stick up for myself with so called stupid comments, and I am definately not alone with crass comments on this forum, not by a long shot. However, I did attempt to tone it down. What about the habbits of others who like to shoot down others opinions, I've seen plenty of that going on in the past and it certainly does not encourage people to contribute to discussions.
I'm sorry if I am so offensive to you. I'll go away and let you chat amongst yourselves.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 23 August 2007, 12:17 PM  
Yes well Andrew as a teacher might need to put Bryn and Paul ij the naughty corner and we can get back to supporting the Kiwi legends over in Ukraine
I see Janni pulled out too

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 23 August 2007, 12:20 PM  
Lakanen AND Lauenstein out - any clues why? You'd have to back one of the Russians now I think.

Fingers crossed Chris will be next through the split.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 23 August 2007, 12:22 PM  
Passed through while I was typing 11th (prob 13th now) just a couple of minutes back, but plenty of time to pick that up!

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 23 August 2007, 12:29 PM  
A K Olesen's made a damn good start, but I don't think she'll have the strength to stay with the top. Looks like anything under 6 minutes is a very good start for the women, but how much does <10% of the course really tell you?

Smola 20:52 to the men's split, probably the 1st real contender

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 23 August 2007, 12:36 PM  
Tania starting now. Everyone start channelling those positive thoughts

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 23 August 2007, 12:37 PM  
Yep starting to get very interesting now...

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 23 August 2007, 12:48 PM  
Tania 6:39, 20th so far. Must have almost caught Dana Brozhkova who WAS on my favourites list but has had early trouble. Fastest time now 5 minutes

1   2   3   4   5   6  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz