maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

MTBO WOC

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 August 2007, 4:02 PM  
Best wishes to Michal Glowacki this week in Czech. The programme is: Mon Sprint; Tue Middle; Wed qualification for Long; Fri Long Final; Sat Relay. Keep in touch with the superb Ozzie Team Blog at http://www.ozmtboteam.socialfx.net

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 7 August 2007, 2:47 AM  
You're a bit slow with the results Michael, have you been out training again?
Michael G - Sprint 45th,6km,18:00, 3min behind winner.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 7 August 2007, 3:30 AM  
Good call Paul:-))

May I reiterate my admiration for the Aussie team blog. The team doesn't appear to have a manager, at any rate all the contributions are made by team members. And FAST. (The sprint has only been over for a few hours.) And with photos. And no grizzles about internet being hard to find. Maybe its, like, magic (with a small m). Certainly not, like, Magic.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 7 August 2007, 4:18 AM  
Slightly off topic: there will be an ANZ MTBO Challenge in NSW 3-4 Nov and NZ has opted to contest M/W Open, M/W40-, M/W50- and M60-. A week before it is the NSW Champs and Rob G is organising a week of training between. The Garden Party Mk II.

Show Profile  Casser Posted: 7 August 2007, 1:11 PM  
It seems like Torbjørn Gasbjergs participation in Waitangi 4 days and hard training biking around the Port Hills has paid off with a GOLD medal. Coming down here on trainingcamp works. I look forward to see how nz training will work for the nz team at (foot)WOC.

This message was edited by Casser on 7 August 2007, 10:09 PM

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 7 August 2007, 1:39 PM  
Regarding the Aussie tour, there will be 5 mtbo races and 5 days of training, all a couple of hours north of Sydney, between
26th October and 4th November.
If you want to take part either in the NZ team or otherwise, see www.mapsport.co.nz links to mtbo for more details, or email me rgmg@xtra.co.nz(note new email) or call 021597070.
These trips are always a lot of fun, and I am looking to coordinate vans, accomodation and entries.
Next year is the first mtbojwoc, to be held in conjunction with the world champs mtbo in Poland in September, and we'd love to see some juniors take part. A week in Aussie could be very motivating, and anyone is welcome to join in.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 8 August 2007, 4:00 AM  
Michal 58th in the Middle. Surprise in the Aussies (well-known for surprises at MTBO WOC) with top man Randall well down, prob mechanical, and blogger Darvodelsky 18th. Darvo would be in his 40's?

Danish men not so impressive as in the sprint (that was amazing Carsten!) Is Henrietta J a relative of yours? Golds went to Russia and Finland. Both bronzes to host country.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 8 August 2007, 4:12 AM  
There were 12 men and 6 women "DISK". Last year there was a controversy about no-go points which weren't very well depicted on the map. The story behind this one might be interesting.

Surmise - in Czech (or at least this WOC) you are allowed off-track PROVIDED your bike is at least 20cm off the ground. A bizarre rule and one that is simply not capable of fair policing. Last year you were allowed to push OR ride off-track (confirmation Marquita?) The international rules say "no off-track unless specifically allowed" and most countries leave that as "no off-track" for environmental and/or mapping reasons.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 8 August 2007, 4:20 AM  
Randall lost 6 min on the first control, does anyone know why AJ is not there?

Show Profile  Blair Trewin Posted: 8 August 2007, 4:29 AM  
AJ (and Carolyn) both pulled out because Peter (AJ's father, Carolyn's husband) died a couple of weeks ago - he'd been ill for a long time but took a serious turn for the worse from May onwards.

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 8 August 2007, 7:27 AM  
Paul broke a pedal at the 3rd last control and had to pedal as best he could with one leg and then run the short final leg and to the finish. Reckons it's the furtherest and fastest he's run in a long time.

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 9 August 2007, 2:42 AM  
Nice work by Michal, qualifying comfortably for the long distance final
http://www.mtbo.cz/woc2007/longq/results.htm

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 9 August 2007, 3:10 AM  
Good on ya Michal and good on ya Darvo!

Show Profile  mark Posted: 9 August 2007, 3:53 AM  
Michael Glowacky was been posting maps and comments on his blog:
http://michalglowacki.blogspot.com/

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 9 August 2007, 9:03 AM  
Michael, you are correct about the off track rules last year. We were allowed to ride anywhere we liked (except marked OOB areas). It wasn't that quick off track so it added another dimension to decision making. I agree the carrying rule is a bit silly as it's very difficult to police.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 9 August 2007, 10:03 AM  
Thanks. It adds another dimension to mapping too - I wonder if they went over the whole map assessing ridability/pushability:-))

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz