maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Course setting

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 4 August 2007, 6:05 AM  
Here is an interesting course format I found on the Okansas site, originally thought of by a Norweigen, designed to be TV and spectator friendly....

Basically, here is how it works...

Qualifying

Each runner completes 4 qualifying courses in a 70 minute period.
Each qualifying course takes about 10-12 minutes.
Runners start the qualifying courses with 1 minute intervals.
A runner starts a new qualifying course each 18 minutes.
Since there are 4 qualifying courses, the organizers can start 4 runners each minute. 72 runners can start in each 18 minute period.

Who makes the final?

1. If you finish in the top 15 in one of the qualifying races, you make the final. So each competitor has 4 chances to qualify for the final.

2. If, after all 4 qualifying courses, you are less than 4 minutes behind the overall best total time, then you make the final.

The final

The final course takes about 30 minutes (no forking).
The start is a chase start based on the combined total times from all 4 qualifying courses.
Runners who have total times more than 4:30 behind the best time, go out in a mass start 4:30 after the leader.
The first runner to the finish wins.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 4 August 2007, 7:29 AM  
Norwegian idea huh. Suppose the IOF will introduce it for the next WOC. After all there's a couple of weeks to go..

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 11 August 2007, 8:07 AM  
I like the idea. With a bit of adjustment for N Z competitors i think it would be a lot of fun.
Possably an a --b--c final.
No age grades
I might give this idea a go?

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 11 August 2007, 8:24 AM  
Ive been thinking!
There is a bit of down time in this type of event.
What about a sponsor--like monteith's or lion red or a good wine company
Have a big tent cafe--D J
What about a name? like "The wine O classic"
Co-ordinators/judges Selwyn Tom and Terry
I'm now thinking it might be so much fun I could even be the sponsor

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 15 March 2008, 6:06 AM  
Have a need to ask a question about course setting software. I was going to start a new thread but then found this one, which could be broadened to cover any sort of planning issues.

This is about OCAD course setting facilities, which I haven't used very much. When I last used them I couldn't figure out how to have two (or more) background map files for the event. There was an A3 version and an A4 version of the map. I recall saving the A3 one as tempname.ocd, using that to place all the controls, and for printing the longer courses. Then saving the A4 one into tempname and printing the shorter courses. Definitely a kludge, there has to be a better way?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 15 March 2008, 6:15 AM  
Cancel that. You can control background maps in course setting in the same way as ordinary OCAD. Don't know why I didn't discover that last time, it was no doubt late at night....

Next question. But how do you open a version of the map with a different scale? The map scale is set for the entire course-setting project in options-scales? No doubt the answer will come to me as soon as I press submit...

This message was edited by Michael on 15 March 2008, 1:58 PM

Show Profile  addison Posted: 16 March 2008, 8:15 AM  
What you do Michael is you change the scale of the map you are wanting to use for course setting prior to bringing it in as a template.

Then you start a new course setting (default 1:10,000)... change this to 1:4,000 or 1:5,000 etc [same scale as you have changed the map to]

Then import your map.

But when you change the scale be careful, dont click enlarge / reduce symbol sizes from memory?

Show Profile  Casser Posted: 17 March 2008, 9:09 AM  
Simon - is it possible to change the scale of course setting in OCAD8? (I don't seem to be able to find this anywhere)
Which makes me assume that this is one of the details that has been changed in the new OCAD9, is this correct?

Show Profile  addison Posted: 17 March 2008, 9:56 AM  
Yes it is, I only use 8.

Show Profile  Casser Posted: 17 March 2008, 10:09 AM  
Yep, of course it works, nothing less than straight forward, when I got the clue.
Cheers

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz