maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Stupidest O Mistake ever

Show Profile  AndrewT Posted: 31 October 2001, 9:35 AM  
Mine was missing a control in the second race of JWOC trials 99.

I'm pretty sure thats what fucked me in selection.

What was yours? (or anyones elses if you know they wont post it cause they are to ashamed)

Show Profile  stu barr Posted: 31 October 2001, 12:33 PM  
Check out the faq link.

Old school!

Edited by - stu barr on 10/31/01 9:18:43 PM

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 31 October 2001, 3:32 PM  
I'll win this hands down.

Forgetting to punch at a drinks control at a World Cup race in Norway because some tasty Norwegian blonde was sitting there in shorts and a bikini top.

Show Profile  stu barr Posted: 31 October 2001, 3:58 PM  
Standing at the start at Knottingly for the wellington champs in about 1996. Closed my eyes for about ten seconds with a minute to go, to try and relax, then proceded to pick up the map from the next box along. After spending about 5 minutes running around looking for the first control, but only finding one with the wrong code, I realised and headed back to the start. I had wasted 15 minutes by the time I started on the right course.

But I did finish.... Jamie

Show Profile  mark Posted: 1 November 2001, 2:14 AM  
I nominate myself 3 times:

1. For thinking that swimming down the Manawatu river was a good route choice after discovering that the strip of light green between peoples houses and the river was actually fight. I DNFed after my map got soaked. (I didn't have a map bag).

2. For picking up an H20 map instead of an H20L map on one of the days at O-Ringen.

3. For misjudging the height of a barb wire fence and shredding my o pants and my bottom.

Show Profile  Dave Barr Posted: 1 November 2001, 2:28 AM  
Trying to find the last control at the NZSS champs relay whilst trying to lose Backler. Found the start triangle instead. Proceeded to sprint the wrong way through the tag area/finish chute to get the last control.

Still bet Backler though.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 1 November 2001, 3:08 AM  
right, now since its getting competitive...

there was the time I lost 7minutes at the first control of a JWOC classic, this was aided of course by the macedonian that waited for me at the start triangle.

running of the map at both an Australian and New Zealand Nationals, the former resulted in taking a safety bearing and spiking the start, the latter was this year and just sucked.
- I must mention Paul Friths mistake in the same Australian Nationals...he kept running of the map for an estimated 10km until he found a farmhouse (it was a forest map).

however as most of us know the biggest mistakes are normally made before you even start...not training...running a grade you shouldn't...drinking beer...

good to see the young boys are running M20 this weekend...wise decision...although you are all still a pack of "girls blouses"...I remember when I was your age, I didn't get scared off by one hiding...I just got a hiding time and time again....

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 1 November 2001, 3:26 AM  
and time again and again and again again and again and again again and again and again again and again and again again and again and again again and again and again again and again and again again and again and again again and again and again again and again and again again and again and again again and again and again again and again and again again and again and again again and again and again again and again and again....

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 1 November 2001, 7:30 AM  
Mine is possibly a 20 min mistake at a control induced by the distraction of a familar Belguim lass at O Ringen

I think Greg needs a nomination for picking up the Womans map at Swiss Short Champs this year.

Perhaps he could have redemed himself by winning the womans course, but instead Lara demolished Greg by 5 mins.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 1 November 2001, 8:41 AM  
Don't forget Andrew that the same lass also cause another huge error for you the day before after saying before running off 'if there is one person I don't want to see before I start..' and then running into her about 50 meters from your start.

Jamie how can you cliam to getting a hiding when most of them you DNFed

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 2 November 2001, 10:20 AM  
1. Took 7 minutes to find the start triangle at Kariotahi, not realising that was where the starter was sitting. Don't ask me how I did this.
2. Jumped headlong into a muddy creek while trying to get away from Dave Crofts in summer series event at Ellerslie.
3. Tripped and fell over speed bump!
I must win for cumulative stupidity...

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 4 November 2001, 7:35 AM  
That reminds me ....

How about running into a road sign while reading my map as I ran down a road ...

and ending up in Ballarat Hospital overnight as a result of severing the nerves in my thumb.

I didn't feel too bad though - the guy next to me who had run over his foot with a lawnmower was in a sh##load more pain than I was.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz