maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

World Cup at O-ringen!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 27 July 2007, 6:35 AM  
Jenni wrote: " Maybe we should run a "How to run in Sweden" class..."

For information, maps, local flavour, and immediacy you can't go past a good blog. Here's the sort of thing that is possible. Look at the frequency of postings. http://www.ozmtboteam.socialfx.net/

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 27 July 2007, 11:11 AM  
A big thankyou to Mal great reporting thankyou for your time and effort.You need to know we all appreciate the work you are doing.
As for today Go the kiwis

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 27 July 2007, 12:51 PM  
Mick wrote: "sounds like a useful topic for an article"

Hey wouldn't it be cool to get something from JWOC competitors or supporters on how to run in granite, and maybe some tips from Selwyn on what he learned [at the Oz mapping workshop] about Aussie mapping styles compared to ours, as a leed up to Oceania.

This message was edited by Paul I on 27 July 2007, 8:57 PM

Show Profile  mal g Posted: 27 July 2007, 8:40 PM  
Hi from the final day at oringen. Its been pissing down herer. Sorry for the late posting but the internet cafe at oringen has done a runner, so a very kindly Brit has lent me his laptop. Today was technically challenging and the runnability was dramatically reduced from yesterday. The mud and bogs were something never to be forgotten. I went up to my hips and others went hgher. There was a massive thunder storm through the race and I got struck by lightening which added 1 hour to my sport ident card, Bugger!!! All the info that has been posted from jenni and robbie and paul came to fruition today. Thanks guys it really helped today in what was qutie a challenging day. After the shower, it felt quite strange that this was the last day, no more bathing with 500 other men or ablutions with 20 other blokes, life just isnt going to be the same again. Thanks to the friendly swedes who let me leave my pack in their tent each day at the finish. They are currently starting a 13 hour drive home and their hospitality was much appreciated. This has been ana mazing trip having met lots of people and a few special people who we will no doubt bump into at future events around europe again. To the stewarts, Mr Takashi sends his regards from Ruka Finland. He carries a photograph of when he was with you - edmonton I think. New Zealand is special to a lot of people over here. They all know somebody who has been to our country and stayed with an orienteer somewhere in NZ Its really cool to experience such kindness and happyness. We may be small but we get noticed!!. Well done to Tania for a fantastic showing at the World cup events. Its is truly a humbling and proud moment when a kiwi gets to within touch of the leaders in a prestigous event such as this. the commentater made everything exciting also and even introduced Tania in swedish and english. Guess you had to be here. Throughly recommend coming to europe. Totally back the training that jenni has proposed. her hints and tips were very helpful. See you all soon.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 27 July 2007, 11:28 PM  
H40 short
Rudy H
Day 1 61:14 (149th from 206) winning time 35:04
Day 2 69:37 (186th) w/t 32:38
Day 3 43:46 (191st)
Day 4 37:41 (165th)
Day 5 58:04 (163rd)
overall 172nd

H40
Mal G
Day 1 94:42 (170th from 179) w/t 36:21
Day 2 97:06 (172nd) w/t 35:19
Day 3 76:25 (174th)
Day 4 75:44 (166th)
Day 5 83:33 (163rd)
overall 167th

H55
Tony P
Day 1 84:01 (135th from 161) w/t 40:26
Day 2 74:54 (137th) w/t 33:46
Day 3 35:17 (111th)
Day 4 82:02 (133rd)
Day 5 mp?

H21 short
Dave M
Day 1 88:20 (168th from 188) w/t 34:57
Day 2 70:24 (94th) w/t 43:01
Day 3 59:31 (143rd)
Day 4 194:29 (182nd)
Day 5 122:54 (165th)
overall 180th

D21 SE
Tania Robinson NZL
Day 1 Long 13.8k 126:58 (51st)
Day 2 Mid B Final 4.7k 35:46 (2nd)
Day 3 Sprint 2.9k 16:53 (33rd)
Day 4 9.0k? 72:04 (24th)
? ? 64:56 (19th)

This message was edited by Paul I on 28 July 2007, 7:38 AM

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 28 July 2007, 7:15 AM  
Another good idea Paul! (granite tips) I'm now thinking of inserting a new general technical section with tips for various terrains, mapping interp, etc as well as interviews and such.
If noone has anything to share then they could always be made up...starting with your Thierry's Texan interview...I'm sure there's heaps of knowledge out there, just need a very big magnet to draw it out

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 28 July 2007, 8:22 AM  
More ideas...

*Course setting hints or developements, loops, macro etc.
*Course of the year comp? map of the year?
*Training tips, preparation for big events, peaking etc. Remembering that not all young or older members have coaches to help.
*Results from O'ers competing in other sports
*Quotes; serious or odd
*Things of interest from overseas orienteering nations
*Amazing orienteers of the world
*Picture of Malcolm being washed away at o-ringen
*"How to relax before a race" by Dave Melrose while enjoying a hearty breakfast calmly as his start time ticks into the past tense.
*'O'gies - awards to highlight winners of less than normal feats of distinction. (I think the Oz Orienteer had this years ago)
*Mapping News, latest maps, new projects, stories by mappers, amazing terrain.
*5/10/15/20 years ago today...

It's easy to come up with ideas but how do we keep the ball rolling and get enough interesting material fowarded to Mick to keep the mag as good as it is now and into the future. It's a well worn cliche I know but it is our mag, we should all contribute when we can offer something of interest or funnies to share with others.

Time seems short these days, we don't write like we used to. The most common way to share ideas, stories and laughs seems to be using technology such as the web, it seems that the majority of NZ O'ers either don't wish to make posts on maptalk or don't actually read it, and so gathering any interesting info shared on this site both past and present is probably going to be news to most.

Are there copyright issue over using stuff from other O websites or bloggspots?

This message was edited by Paul I on 28 July 2007, 4:27 PM

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 29 July 2007, 3:33 AM  
Cool ideas - look out for some new things next issue - hope to have a preview up soon, including a granite o speciale
Paul whats your email address?

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 29 July 2007, 7:09 AM  
On my profile Mick

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 July 2007, 8:51 AM  
I think we would expect the technical director to be assembling Paul's item 1. I think we would expect the coaching director to be assembling item 3. (When we have a coaching director, but that's most of the time.) Some of the material will be of lasting use, so it should end up on the NZOF website.

Show Profile  mal g Posted: 29 July 2007, 2:09 PM  
Hey guys. Once I get home and get all my data downloadedI will arrange an evening where it can be presented at the panmure yacht club and I can email some stuff for an article perhaps. The suggestions of training camps have to be followed through now. I will be in touch with you jenni. As JWOC is in sweden next year, and there is always a training camp the week prior to oringen I will proposing that those wanting to stay in sweden after jwoc to come training and eventuallly to oringen should be able to do so, so start saving now guys and girls. Accomadation at nxt years oringen is at a ski resort in cabins so we dont have to worry about tents for oringen.l I have booked a couple of cabins already on the assumption that our juniors want to come and race the scandis!!!!! In stocholm now cleaning shes so i am allowed back into NZ. See you guys soon. The next 12 months is going to fly by so prepare and start trainnig now. Silver birch trees unpruned forest and rocky broken ground should be your starting points. Able to run through LOW LOW viz at 70 % as jenni said is essential. Catch you guys soon Mal

Username

Password

Register  
1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz