maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

World Masters

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 9 July 2007, 1:29 PM  
Don't forget the other world champs happening this week, in the far far far north of Finland. Appears to be 5 kiwis competing: Mal G, That Claire Girl's Dad, Rudy H, Ann Scott and Jane Cloete. Thought Rick McGregor would be there, being one of the 27 people who live in the Sami country, but maybe he's running under the Swedish flag, so doesn't jump out of the results list so obviously.

Malcolm, you know your way to maptalk, so I nominate you as team media officer! Keep us posted!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 July 2007, 2:15 PM  
Well I'm kinda glad I didn't make the effort to go. This conclusion is based on the quali results as of now, and a number of heats seem to have very few names so maybe they are incomplete or I'm missing something obvious. However...

This does not appear to be a WORLD Championship, rather its a FINNISH Championship. There is an overwhelming proportion of Finns, and only in the older women does the proportion seem to drop as low as 50%.

Why aren't there heaps of other Scandinavians? Travel from Europe surely isn't that hard? Of course only a handful from NA (good on you Sharon:-)) and down-under. Even GBR can only be described as a few.

If these results are "it" then I think the pigeon of every-year WMOCs has come home to roost. Can one muster up the same enthusiasm (and money) every year as compared to once in a while when it becomes "special"?

Against the home advantage (I'm told terrain is VERY characteristic) the heat wins of Britain's Eddie Harwood and Liz Campbell are notable. Can't find Ann Scott who would be NZ's only hope to qualify. But then my computer can't do Ctrl/F "New Zealand Flag"...

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 July 2007, 2:27 PM  
Found a search facility, "top X plus all from nominated country", very neat. Maybe there's a simple answer to my other beef too:-))

Anyway Rudy 45th M40-1, Tony 56th M55-6, (M55 and 60 have 6 heats) Jane 56th W55-2. NO sign of Malcolm and Ann...

Show Profile  Keith Posted: 11 July 2007, 5:56 PM  
I know there is a few hundred Brits at the french 5 day which is currently on. That may go someway to answering your question Michael

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 11 July 2007, 6:17 PM  
I think a lot of people are saving their $$$ to go to Portugal next year which will have much nicer terrain than a piece of typically crappy Finnish forest.

Show Profile  Svend Posted: 12 July 2007, 1:05 AM  
Yes, Ann is there. 16th and 37th place, combined 22nd place.
http://results.wmoc2007.fi/

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 12 July 2007, 3:15 PM  
That should put her in the A final then. Found a few stats on the entries. 2665 Finns, next country Russia has 382, total 4450.

Tomorrow will be busy and not just in Finland. WMOC final, JWOC relay, and Silva SS Champs. Friday 13th, but it can't be unlucky for everyone:-))

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 13 July 2007, 2:54 AM  
Michael you are even more of an O junkie than me

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 13 July 2007, 10:04 AM  
Well my day job is ... orienteering.

Ann Scott starts W70A at 12:43 Finnish time. Now where are those SS Champs results PAPO? Or anyone down there?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 13 July 2007, 12:16 PM  
There are some other masters might be competing tomorrow .. in the Oz Champs.

Wayne (NSW Champs winner last weekend) and Trish (2nd)
Graham and Kate Fortune (both 2nd last weekend)
Marquita (W40 winner last weekend)
Bunny (W70 winner last weekend)
Derek might feel he can relax and have a run
And at least as many others.

Good luck

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 13 July 2007, 1:15 PM  
The Finnish maps and courses etc are being released on route gadget.
Terrain looks nice.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 13 July 2007, 5:12 PM  
Ann Scott was 25th W70. From this perspective the outstanding result was Britain's Liz Campbell winning W50. There were some Finnish medallists.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 14 July 2007, 3:08 PM  
Full results from Oz Champs not there yet but there's a news item that gives Karl second in M21E:-)) Winners were Dave Shepherd (by 10min) and Hanny Allston (by 3).

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 16 July 2007, 4:59 PM  
The Oz Champs results are still hiding from my gaze, apart from brief news items on the OA site. But there is a valedictory for a sometime rival of mine, Peter Jackson. Perhaps better known from afar as husband of Carolyn, father of Adrian. Both have medalled in the world MTBO championship, Adrian in gold.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 July 2007, 11:17 AM  
No Oz Champs wins for the boys, but Marquita won W40 and Trish W55. Seconds for Karl M21E as reported, Wayne M60, Graham F M65, Bunny W70. And altho not masters, in the Oz Relays next day Kate, Kate and Nicola were second in W17-20E.

Show Profile  mal g Posted: 19 July 2007, 7:32 PM  
hey I'm here. I am holidaying in sweden for a week since a disaterous showing in finland. Jet lag and getting over the flu had me smashed before <i even started. I actually made the 40 c final which blew me away only to make two horrendous mistakes when lost contact in very bland and flat terrain/marsh type stuff. Loving the running and there were legs where >I was legging it with the finns albeit for a little bit . i am training hard in sweden for good runs at oringen. Ski jumpimg in finland grabbed my attention. and now vickings and blonds nave my attention in sweden. Currently in vasteras which is an hour out of stocholm = got kicked out of there by the royal palace guards, no sense of humour. LOVE Europe cant wait to get back here currency conversion SUCKS but its loads of shits and giggles so why not EH!

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz