maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

Google Earth Coverage of New Zealand

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 7 July 2007, 11:26 AM  
Google Earth makes no promises about updating its coverage. You can't be checking it all the time. This is a place to put comments about coverage, problem areas, and improvements. I suggest that the first line of each posting gives the location.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 7 July 2007, 11:32 AM  
Lower Hutt
Prob about 3yrs old - prior to the Harvey Norman building at Melling Bridge - the old Honda building is still there. Just east of that is a swathe of low resolution which stuffs up most of the CBD and extends over the eastern hills and almost to the Wairarapa.

There's a discontinuity at the highest part of Dowse Drive.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 7 July 2007, 11:41 AM  
Bottle Lake Chch
Good coverage after the fire near Spencer Park, but before the damaged trees were removed. I would guess 2005. I can't relate it to the southern fire area yet but maybe it was during the cleanup because there appear to be piles of logs.

Show Profile  Svend Posted: 8 July 2007, 7:48 AM  
Sandy Point Invercargill
Good coverage of the forestry, about 2½ years old, but the maps to the South, Mokomoko, Tara Downs, Omaui and Ocean Beach has no cover and the same applies to New River Ferry to the North.
According to Google, images are usually less than 3 years old and the minimum age is 2 years due to privacy issues.

Some useful information about Google Earth can be found here: www.answers.com/topic/google-earth

Show Profile  nick Posted: 16 July 2007, 4:42 AM  
Large areas of Waitakere Ranges, Auckland were covered by cloud last time I looked

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 16 July 2007, 5:11 AM  
Sounds like an accurate representation to me ;-)

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 16 July 2007, 7:23 AM  
Good coverage of the 2007 Heights of Winter area.

OTOH the 2007 Cyclic Saga area straddles the edge of good coverage. I think you could substantially improve these topo-based event maps without leaving home using Google, but I would hesitate if I only had partial coverage. Would it be fair if part of the map was better than the rest? But missing and wrong tracks are unfair too.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 28 December 2007, 4:43 PM  
Found another discontinuity at York Bay, Eastbourne. The road goes into the sea. And another one in the middle of the Akatarawas.

This message was edited by Michael on 31 December 2007, 12:09 PM

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 29 December 2007, 2:24 AM  
True story: Until he got a proper explanation of Google Earth, my boss was seriously concerned that people would be able to use it to check if he was out patrolling the marine reserve or not...

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 31 December 2007, 5:33 AM  
Google maps is worth checking out with its recent addition of a terrain view option which is similar to a topo map showing hills with shading.

http://maps.google.com/

This message was edited by fraser on 31 December 2007, 1:33 PM

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 3 January 2008, 5:44 AM  
From the latest newsletter "The Sightseer": under "New High Resolution Imagery":

Manawatu Wanganui Province, Thames-Coromandel Province

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 1 March 2008, 2:13 PM  
From the latest newsletter, under "New High Resolution Imagery":

Auckland, Wanganui Province, Tararua Province. (Dunno what they've done in the Tararuas, but it doesn't include the popular Holdsworth Lodge, or Masterton for that matter.)

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 3 March 2008, 3:53 AM  
Thanks Michael, really appreciate these updates, gotta confess I'm a bit of a google earth fanatic

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 9 June 2009, 12:23 PM  
The latest "Sightseer" reports new coverage of Palmerston North. However we can't rely on this newsletter because I'm pretty sure they never mentioned Hamilton which recently got improved coverage. These two are very high resolution.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 23 July 2009, 2:34 AM  
Latest "Sightseer" has a link to a KML file which gives more details of the updates than the rather general list in the bulletin itself. This confirms that improvements are often made without getting a mention. There appear to be updates to:

Gt Barrier and Mokohinau Is
White Island
Couple of blocks in Kaingaroa Forest, SE of Murupara and halfway between Taupo and Napier
Cape Kidnappers
Cape Egmont
West coast S of Hokitika
Omarama
Middle of nowhere N of Glenorchy
And at last something that might be useful...
Dunedin and Otago Peninsula
Block between Milton and Balclutha

Show Profile  ChrisM Posted: 23 July 2009, 6:42 AM  
Large areas around Taupo and Tokoroa are still at very low resolution. What is there appears to be about 3 years old

1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz