maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26  

News from JWOC team

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 9 July 2007, 10:11 AM  
Best wishes to the team for the middle distance.
We can all rest tomorrow.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 9 July 2007, 2:51 PM  
News posted for the long distance

Show Profile  addison Posted: 9 July 2007, 4:55 PM  
http://picasaweb.google.com/simonjaddison/

Photos from Norm Jager are being uploaded as we speak.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 10 July 2007, 2:34 PM  
More photos uploaded courtesy of Rob Preston and yours truly.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 11 July 2007, 1:44 AM  
To save the other NZ-based spectators a bit of research time:

Start times today (corrected to NZST)
Kate and Kate 1215
Lizzie 1229
Tineke 1231
(the other) Nic and Greta 1301

Andrew 1206
Jack 1218
Thomas 1230
Riki 1238
Sam 1306
Jager 1322

So it'll be lunch at the desk today (no great loss in Wellington today!) All the best, team!

3 heats each with the top 20 going through (thanks Simon). If you've seen the start lists with lane numbers this looks to be independent of heat number, ie competitors won't know who else is in their heat until they finish (to cut down on following, among other things)

This message was edited by onemanfanclub on 11 July 2007, 9:22 AM

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 11 July 2007, 2:34 AM  
Thanks guys for pics and start info, I'd best get that early lunchtime run in before the excitement commences

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 11 July 2007, 3:14 AM  
Sweet!
Has anyone else suffered from the wicked storm we just endured.... We had a major tree of ours topple and just miss the house. Anyone looking for some upper body workout in order to chainsaw the thing up? I've never seen Murrays Bay Pier lashed by 5 metre waves before, have now. Crossing the harbour bridge in 120km/ph winds was freaky, felt like we were having an earthquake that wouldn't stop!

Kiwi hopes for Middle qualification....
I reckon the guys and gals have good potential to do well in this race. Obviously a number of them handled the rocky hills very well and can do so again, the ones who dissapionted themselves with some dodgy errors have had a big wakeup call. Last time I had a blowout like that my next few races were fantastic, it forced me to focus harder to produce a clean run, especially early on when you really have to settle into the map. If you can do this your confidence grows quickly and your pace picks up too.
Simon and Thomas in particular, being such strong runners probably suffered from this as they would have been very keen to show their speed, I'm sure being at the tail end also added to the pressure to do a quick run, they would have burned off a fair amount of nervous energy ! It's times like this when it's pretty difficult to visualise the terrain ahead of you well enough to run at top speed.

I'm also pretty sure our team will much prefer the 1:10000 maps from now on. How often do we come across 1:15000 in NZ these days, our maps and courses more resemble the middle distance format. Hopefully it will feel much more natural, but the key will still be settling into the map calmly yet quickly, and being able to pick their way through the detail at visualising and running at speed.

I am confident of several top 20's, they are all great orienteers. Good luck to all.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 11 July 2007, 3:16 AM  
PS some brilliant photos in there! Taking me a while to get through them, but theres one of Greta looking good for a cover so far Simon. But I am saving the cover for our first Kiwi JWOC podium place...Or the first mass spectator mob streak down the finish shute.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 July 2007, 3:41 AM  
What are the odds in a random start draw that two runners from the same nation will start at the same time? That two pairs of two runners will start at the same time? That two runners from the same nation starting at the same time will have the same name? For the statisticians out there - Blair?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 July 2007, 4:10 AM  
Hey Nic, aren't I contributing to your pay at the moment? Get back to work!

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 11 July 2007, 4:12 AM  
Paul, if you can get hold of a copy of today's DomPost, the front page has the most awesome, fantastic, scarey, weather radar image I've ever seen... I guess you were somewhere in the middle of that! All the more reason to wish we were in Dubbo. GO AWESOME, TEAM!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 July 2007, 4:34 AM  
So Auckland had a bit of a breeze eh? Real men live and orienteer in Invercargill. Sandy Point go all right Svend?

Show Profile  Svend Posted: 11 July 2007, 5:05 AM  
Sandy Point went well - sheltered and pleasant in the forest. Didn't expect many to turn up but got 21.
I'm listening to the live commentary from Dubbo again today. Orienteering can be very exiting even if you are not taking an active part in it.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 July 2007, 5:35 AM  
Yes I agree. I'm quite heartened by the progress that has been made, and when the visualisation technology used for the Americas Cup becomes affordable then it will be even better. Isn't it ironic that that has been developed in NZ?

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 11 July 2007, 5:40 AM  
It was sooo inconvenient. We got cheap Tuesday night tickets to the movies as the kids wanted to see Transformers. Just sat down then the power on the north shore blacked out. Faced with going home to no power we decided to head over the brige to the new Sylvia Park Hoytes. Some clowns werte in our seats so we snuck up to the leather recliner first class seats, because of the domino effect of too many people stealing each others seats they couldn't boot us out!

Awesome news bullitons and photos Simon, keep it up please. Good to see some fantastic Kiwi results also coming in from the Western Plains Carnival.

Is someone else able to do a bit of a running commentary on todays races as I am a bit busy.

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz